Sunday, June 15, 2014

Hip Hop is Powerful

A few days ago I was telling a friend about the Talent Show we had at school and described the dance moves, songs, and true talent students at my school have. I love the talent show every year because it is a window into students true interests and talents that are not always seen in the classroom. My friend asked if I had ever heard of Chris Emdim. I stared at her and said "No, the name doesn't sound familiar." She went on to tell me how this man has started what's called Science Genius and #hiphopEd to use hip hop as a means of teaching science. He is an advocate for engaging students in a real way to encourage learning. Check out this short video to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

 Now, I know a lot of people reading this probably work with elementary age students and as you can see this video focused on high school students. I still think there's something to be said about using hip hop to engage students of all ages. I would love to do more research this summer to learn how the brain is activated when rapping and find more raps to use in my classroom. I know it would engage many of my students and encourage them to use some of their talents more frequently in the classroom. I sometimes encourage my students to write a rap with their sight words or beat box to a math problem, but most students look at me, turn red, and say "No, I can't do that." If I began lessons with a rap to introduce a concept or showed a rap for more practice with a math equation, students may be more apt to create their own rap. Using hip hop is something I would like to try going forward as I feel it could truly make a difference for my students.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree about how much fun and beneficial it is to use hip-hop in the classroom. I have MANY different alphabet songs and the class favorite every year is Jack Hartmann's hip-hop alphabob. Rapping the alphabet, even for me is more fun than singing or saying it. I'd love to hear about some of the research you find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I also agree that music is one of the most effective tools to use when trying to get disinterested students engaged! No matter the subject, music has always worked in my classroom, especially when used within lesson initiations. In the past, in order to get my reluctant performers to present their poems, I've modeled rapping my own poem and then allowed them to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you checked out the http://www.flocabulary.com/? Many teachers recommend the site.

    ReplyDelete