Thursday, June 12, 2014

Goals of Student Blogging

This summer I plan to level my classroom library (I know! It's really sad it's not leveled, but cut me some slack. I'm a newer teacher without a full classroom of students), plan unit themes, and compile specific activities for each concept I teach. I feel like these are the typical items on every teacher's summer "To-Do List", but now I have a new item to add to my summer to-do list. It is to research and become extraordinarily familiar with student blogging. Through my grad course I have become aware of the incredible opportunities available to teachers and students to expand student learning. Here are just a few classroom blogs I've explored recently.

This is a classroom blog with first graders. 



This is a classroom blog with second graders.

As you can see, it's amazing what students decide to write about! Some students write about very influential and passionate topics, others write to persuade, and some write to express emotion. Blog writing also challenges students to write for a different audience. Students become accustomed to writing for their teacher and no one else. The blogging world allows students to consider people around the world that might be their readers.

Writing is often a difficult task for my students, but if I introduced blogging into writing I think students would be incredibly motivated. My hope is to research student blogging this summer and begin implementing student blogging in the fall. I would like to get my older students started at the start of the year. Two things I want to keep in mind as I begin student blogging is 1) Set a specific time each week to allow students to write on their blogs and 2) Keep blogging student centered. 

Here we go!



1 comment:

  1. Informative blog! it was very useful for me.Thanks for sharing. Do share more ideas regularly.
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete