Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Classroom Rules and Expectations Digital Story

I started creating a digital story about my classroom rules and expectations to fulfill a requirement for my grad class, but quickly realized it was a great way to connect with parents, intrigue students, show student work, and use as a tool for instruction. I decided it would be really neat to use current students to make a video for my incoming students in the fall. I had students assist me in brainstorming different rules and/or expectations in my class to begin. I then took their list and used the students to model different positive actions in my classroom. I complied all the pictures and videos and added commentary to finish it off. Here's what I created.



I used a new tool called VoiceThread to compile all my pictures and instructions.I found VoiceThread to be straightforward and easy to use. Below I've listed a few of the ways I think VoiceThread could be used.

- Student documentation of his/her own story
- Read aloud of a book for a listening station
- Lesson introductions with pictures of a concept (i.e. intro to shapes create a short digital story displaying different shapes you see around the house and school)
- Practicing math facts, sight words, letters, numbers, etc.
- Introduction of classmates and/or teacher
- Classroom rules and expectations

Let me know if you use VoiceThread and how you use it in your classroom!

2 comments:

  1. I love your digital story. It will be a great resource to use at the beginning of the year. You've inspired me to make one for my classroom I noticed you have your students sit on yoga balls. How does this affect their behavior and movement while working?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea for a digital story! A video for classroom expectations is a fun and developmentally appropriate way to provide students with this information. Having it available for reference will probably be a great reminder too.

    ReplyDelete